Public interest and clinical research on mindfulness has exploded in the past ten years within the areas of healthcare, business, education, law, and athletic performance.
Richard Davidson, PhD (University of Wisconsin, Madison: Center for Healthy Minds)
Anderson Cooper interviews Rhonda Magee and Jon Kabat-Zinn: A Mindful Approach to Race and Social Justice (Wisdom 2.0 Mindfulness in America Summit)
Kobe Bryant talks about mindfulness meditation through the lens of athletics and sports:
The Power of Sleep and Meditation (YouTube):
- Good, D. J., Lyddy, C. J., Glomb, T. M., Bono, J. E., Brown, K. W., Duffy, M. K., … Lazar, S. W. (2016). Contemplating Mindfulness at Work: An Integrative Review. Journal of Management, 42(1), 114–142. https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206315617003
“This review coalesces the burgeoning body of mindfulness scholarship into a framework to guide mainstream management research investigating a broad range of constructs. The framework identifies how mindfulness influences attention, with downstream effects on functional domains of cognition, emotion, behavior, and physiology.”
- Morone, N. E. (2019). Not Just Mind Over Matter: Reviewing With Patients How Mindfulness Relieves Chronic Low Back Pain. Journal of Evidence-Based Integrative Medicine. https://doi.org/10.1177/2515690X19838490
“We share that our study showed a clinically meaningful reduction in pain and improvement in function and discuss some of the possible underlying mechanisms of MBSR’s effect.”
- Pascoe, M. C., Thompson, D. R., Jenkins, Z. M., & Ski, C. F. (2017). Mindfulness mediates the physiological markers of stress: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Psychiatric Research, ISSN: 1879-1379, Vol: 95, Page: 156-178
“When all meditation forms were analysed together, meditation reduced cortisol, C – reactive protein, blood pressure, heart rate, triglycerides and tumour necrosis factor-alpha. Overall, meditation practice leads to decreased physiological markers of stress in a range of populations.”
- Sharma, M., & Rush, S. E. (2014). Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction as a Stress Management Intervention for Healthy Individuals: A Systematic Review. Journal of Evidence-Based Complementary & Alternative Medicine, 19(4), 271–286. https://doi.org/10.1177/2156587214543143
“Stress is an imminent public health problem and one of the approaches to address this problem is through mindfulness-based stress reduction. A total of 17 interventions from January 2008 to December 2013 looked at mindfulness-based stress reduction and its efficacy in decreasing stress in healthy individuals. Of these reviewed studies, all interventions were able to find some positive effects in psychological or physiological outcome measures related to stress.”
Sampling of Apps
- Insight Timer: https://insighttimer.com
- highly rated app for meditation and sleep
- largest FREE library of guided meditations
- Calm: https://www.calm.com
- named 2017 iPhone app of the year by Apple
- guided meditations, sleep stories, educational classes with renowned content experts
- Pacifica: https://www.thinkpacifica.com/about/
- highly rated app for anxiety and depression
- based on cognitive behavioral therapy and mindfulness meditation
- Headspace: https://www.headspace.com
- excellent meditations for all levels, great short meditations
- rated as best meditation app in 2020 by Wirecutter
- Waking Up: https://wakingup.com
- created by Sam Harris, neuroscientist, author, philosopher
- instructional, great reviews since 2018 debut, neuroscience takes center stage with practice
- Brach, Tara. Radical Compassion: Learning to Love Yourself and Your World with the Practice of RAIN. New York: Viking, 2019.
- Brewer, Judson. The Craving Mind: From Cigarettes to Smartphones to Love – Why We Get Hooked and How We Can Break Bad Habits. Yale University Press, 2017. ISBN: 9780300234367
- Chödrön, Pema. How to Meditate: A Practical Guide to Making Friends with Your Mind. Boulder, CO: Sounds True, Inc., 2013.
- Gelles, David. Mindful Work: How Meditation Is Changing Work from the Inside Out. Boston: Eamon Dolan/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2015.
- Harris, Dan. 10% Happier. How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works–A True Story. New York: HarperCollins, 2014.
- Harris, Sam. Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion. New York: Simon & Schuster, Inc., 2014.
- Kabat-Zinn, Jon. Full Catastrophe Living : Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness. New York :Bantam Books, 2013.
- Kabat-Zinn, Jon. Coming to Our Senses: Healing Ourselves and the World Through Mindfulness. London: Piatkus, 2005. (This book has recently been published in 4 sections/books)
- Kumar, Sameet. The Mindful Path through Worry and Rumination: Letting Go of Anxious and Depressive Thoughts. Oakland, California: New Harbinger Publications, Inc., 2010.
- Neff, Kristen. Self-Compassion: Stop Beating Yourself Up and Leave Insecurity Behind. New York: WilliamMorrow & Company, 2011.
- Salzberg, Sharon. Real Love: The Art of Mindful Connection. New York: Flatiron Books, 2017.